You can save time and effort by configuring UKG to automatically send your employee data to Small Improvements via Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP). There are two options for UKG to set up the connection.
- UKG to handle the setup of the SFTP connection to Small Improvements and manage the data file creation.
- UKG to only handle the SFTP connection between the HRIS system and Small Improvements.
Both options require a UKG representative to work with a Small Improvements Account Administrator to complete the setup process.
Setting up an SFTP integration may require assistance from your IT Team. We’ve provided detailed technical instructions that you can provide to them during the setup process.
Create a custom report in UKG
Create a report that contains all the employees you want to import into Small Improvements. The report file will need to be in CSV format. We recommend that you start with our Employee Data File Template. If you have existing data in the platform, you can head to Admin Settings > Directory, click “Admin” atop the table and select to export that data as an “Import File,” and use the headings that are included in the export to create your template.
At a minimum, for every employee you want to update, you must include the following:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Login Email
Below are some additional demographic columns that are commonly included in employee data files:
- Manager Email
- Employee ID
- Hiring Date
- Alternative Email
- Secondary Reviewer
- Preferred Name
- Leaving Date
- Termination Type
- Employment Type
Create an SSH key pair
The SFTP connection will require OpenSSH keys for authentication. A representative from UKG will create a public key and private key pair for the connection.
The private key will remain with the UKG. The public key must be entered in the Public Key field on the Admin > Integrations page in Small Improvements. This can be done by an HR or Tech Admin in your Small Improvements account.
Note: Our SFTP only supports openSSH key pairs, not SSH2. If your HRIS or command line tool generates keys in SSH2 format, you can convert them to openSSH using the instructions in the guide below.
Connect your SFTP client with Small Improvements
Most SFTP clients will require the following information to set up a connection. Some of this information can be found in Small Improvements (Admin > Integrations > SFTP). Ensure the hostname and username you use to set up your SFTP client are copied directly from the setup form in Small Improvements. Both are case-sensitive
- Protocol: SFTP
- Logon Type: Key File
- Host/Hostname: Can be found Small Improvements
- Username: Can be found Small Improvement
Testing your SFTP connection
If you’re having problems with your SFTP connection, we suggest testing it by manually importing your data. This will ensure a valid data set and allow you to focus specifically on the SFTP connection.
- Export your report from UKG in CSV format.
- Head to your Admin Settings > User Management > Import Users page and upload the custom report. After uploading the file, you’ll see a preview of the data.
- Review any errors and request adjustments to the report if any are required.
- Cancel and do not “Import” the file. This is because you are only testing the data and do not want to apply the changes via this manual upload process.
- Test your SFTP connection by going to Admin > Integrations > SFTP.
If the transfer fails, you know the issue is with your SFTP connection, not your data file.
Troubleshooting integration issues
If you are facing issues syncing your data from UKG to Small Improvements, you can view the troubleshooting information we have included in our SFTP Troubleshooting Guide.